Wednesday, March 9, 2011

To see or not to see? - Should you see your groom before the ceremony?

While doing a site tour today, I was reminded of a little tradition that tends to bug me as a venue: the first look. We've let a lot of wedding traditions slide, but the one that no one wants to let go of is not seeing their groom before the wedding. I think one of the best things you can do the day of your wedding is take photos with your groom before the ceremony.

1) It helps with timing - You can get so many more photos in if you see your groom before the ceremony. The day of is a time crunch already, so freeing up some minutes after the ceremony by taking photos before can really help out.

2) It can help take the stress away - You have enough butterflies in your stomach already! Why would you add to it by not having some calm words whispered to you by your groom before the ceremony? I think it puts both parties at ease and gives you more time to celebrate together this happy moment.

3) No one needs to know - A first look should still be private and a surprise. Find a secluded garden or private room at your venue to meet up before hand and get some personal pictures and personal time in.You can still capture the magic of moment with how you enter the space (make it dramatic!). Remember, you only need to do this an hour or two before the ceremony, so you're look is still a surprise!

In short, I know this is the one tradition that brides try to keep but I also think it can be impractical with the modern wedding. Keep your mind open on this matter and it could help open your timeline a lot the day of!

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! I did this and I LOVE my pictures for when he and I see for the first time. Such a special moment. We were able to enjoy one another before the wedding and actually take some great pics without being rushed.

    ReplyDelete