Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Discount Wedding II: The double booking trick

It's about time I did another article about wedding discounts and budgeting. Similar to my older post "How to ask for a discount" I'd like to go over one suggestion that you can do to help get you a discount and keep your budget down:

Share your wedding venue with another event.

Sounds weird, but roll with me for a second. Rental fees or food & beverage minimums are set to cover the baseline cost of doing business. That includes the cost for a venue to have the lights on, the doors open, the heat on and the minimum amount of staff to run the place. If a venue already has another event that is covering those costs, a second event during the same time period would cost them less in operating costs.

Not all venues can double book; you definitely have to do your homework and ask a lot of the right questions to make this work. So below are some of those questions you can ask to try and wiggle a discount using the double booking method:

1) Do you allow for multiple events on the same day?
2) Would guests from the two events share an entrance or a bathroom?
     2a) would they run into each other in any way?
3) Is there a guest count limit or any time constraints for booking two events on one day? (It's weird to ask and may not apply, but my venue will not allow both events to start at the same time for example to prevent guests from getting lost)
4) Could you check your calendar for days that you already have an event booked and are willingly to book a second event?
5) Would you be open to discounting your rental fee (or lower your food & beverage minimum) if I booked on the same day as another event?<-- This phrasing is key!!... and I think I just got an idea for my next blog post. I'll tell you why to say it this way next week!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment