Friday, October 1, 2010

The power of Linked In

Linked In is the black sheep of social media, but that's only because people don't see the potential. I know I didn't realize it until I heard 617-Patrick but I now think Linked In is one of the coolest ways to connect with people. You have the power to search your connections and your extended network to find people in the wedding business. First, I'll tell you how to do. Then I'll tell you how to use it.

How to search your network and their connections:
  •  Click on the "Advanced" link next to the search bar
  • Type in your keyword (start general with "Wedding")
  • Under Relationship, limit your Connection level to 2nd and 3rd network
  • In your search results, you can adjust your Location filter to make sure they work in your area
As your keyword becomes more specific, I would expand your connection level to make sure you find what you're looking for. 

How to use it:
  •  Get Reviews - Is your co-worker connected to a wedding photographer you were considering? Ask your contact if they worked with that photographer before and if they would recommend them to a friend. 
  • Get Introduced - While you can do this in Linked In, I think an email or phone call is more appropriate.
  • Get a new perspective - You may already know someone who works in events, but you never asked or never realized that they came from an events background.

No comments:

Post a Comment